The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Friday, October 26, 2007

LESS THAN A WEEK UNTIL HALLOWEEN

Violette Spice Blythe is already waiting at her door, in case the Kellys show up early. She's wishing I'd make her an outfit for the ocassion, but... Maybe I will and maybe I won't. I should look through my rubbermaid bins for some appropriate fabric today.
Poor Wynona died. She is the hen on the right in this not-so-great photo taken a month ago. She was a black laced Wyandotte. Henrietta and Egglantine are Auracanas...which I have probably spelled incorrectly, but I am too rushed to look it up. I asked around on all my permaculture/homesteading/back-to-basics types of yahoo groups and got lots of opinions, guesses and ideas as to what might have happened, but no definate conclusions. I brought them in from the chicken tractor one evening, tucked them safely into their house with fresh food and water, but the next morning Wynona was stiff and dead with no marks on her. As you can see in the photo, even when they were younger, she was noticeably smaller than the others. They were all hatched the same day, so are the exact same age. As someone on one of the groups said, Auracanas are normally quite a bit smaller than Wyandottes, so maybe she had something genetically wrong with her to make her smaller than them, instead of vice-versa.
QUESTION OF THE DAY: MY NIECE WANTS TO KNOW, "WHAT ARE SOME HALLOWEEN CARNIVAL TYPE GAMES THAT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE AT A CHURCH PARTY?" (Good luck, Laura!)

3 Comments:

At 10/27/2007 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'nothing but the sound of crickets...'
LK

 
At 10/29/2007 10:10 AM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm probably too late but:

Pin the nose on the jack-o-latern (make one out of construction paper).

Pass the pumpkin (like Hot Potato).

Pumpkin bowling (make pins, use pumpkin for bowling ball)

 
At 10/29/2007 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great ideas, cookbook junkie!! I am going to do; pumkin bowling(the pins will be 2 liter soda bottles that look like ghosts), apple bobbing, prize walk(like a cake walk) and they will stand on pumkin shapes, and blind fold jack-o-lantern drawing(on the wall).
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home