The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Saturday, February 25, 2006

MY SISTER'S VISIT

Jan went home yesterday.I sure wish she could have stayed longer. We were lucky to have a couple of days together, but there were so many things we wanted to do that we just didn't have time for. We visited an elderly relative and soaked up some family history and old stories, and drove around the area, and our little town looking at old homes and sites where homes used to be. We ate out a couple of times, did some shopping and thrifting, watched the Olympics and our other favorite shows (American Idol, Project Runway, Survivor, etc.) and talked, laughed and talked some more. Strangely enough, over the 2-3 shopping outings, I only came back with the junk you see above, plus a quilting magazine. And the things in the photo were bought at one store on the first trip. I think getting it home and realizing what crap it actually is, scared me into being more discerning on subsequent trips.

1. The distressed vintage print of San Ysidro. I thought I'd use it in an assemblage of some kind. Especially good since it is already aged and distressed. Only, I'd have to find a 'box' of some kind for the assemblage and gather or find other elements to go into it, and I'm really not in the mood.

2. The wooden recipe box. Very sturdy and well made. I find it hard to resist these types of things. I got it to decopage, and I might actually get it done, although not real soon.

3. The bust of Don Pedrito. Ummm... It's old and 'funky' in a strange kind of way. Things like this intrigue me, although I also have an aversion to them. On the one hand they are part of our South Texas Mexican heritage and folklore, but on the other hand they (to me) exude superstition and misdirected religiousity. I thought to use it in another assemblage and sell it on eBay, but.... having second thoughts.

4. A tiny plastic picture frame that will be perfect for The Wandettes' house.

5. The Asian vase. Have you ever seen a blonde geisha? Me neither. It is old, but cheap. See those faded silk flowers stuck in the vase part? They cover a good sized chip and crack. I didn't check before I bought it, so I guess I'll have to keep some fluffy flowers covering that part. I hesitate to say I collect vintage Asian figurines, but I do have a few. This is barely worthy of being in the grouping with the others, but too late now.

6. The two vintage (50's) children's books. I remember my grandmother having one of these when I was little, and the other one is so cute too. I think both will go on eBay if I ever get motivated to put them up for auction.

So, you can see why I was especially cautious on later shopping excursions about buying anything after I'd bought these things and then wondered what in the world I was thinking. Actually, if I had it to do over, I'd only buy the wooden box and the tiny frame.

Jan faired better. She got several items for gifts at The Artisan's Mall (no, not that bizarre lamp from a previous entry), and some kitchen items at one thrift store and a cute bandana for her granddog, Phred, at another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home