The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Monday, January 16, 2006

RAIN!!! and MINI RANT

Look at that rain falling! It fell hard for about 5 minutes. It's a rare enough sight lately that I took a photo. ;)

I watched 20/20 the other night when they had 'Stupid in America'. It was appalling to say the least. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Stossel/story?id=1500338

I have been ranting for years about how the workforce is getting stupider all the time. Today when I was in Beeville, I went to Church's Chicken and ordered a box of chicken and 8 jalapeno poppers. When it was time to pay the $11.12 total, I gave her a twenty dollar bill and a dollar twelve in change. While I had been waiting for her to come to the window, I wondered if it would be superfluous to point out to whoever came to take my money, that it WAS a twenty dollar bill and a dollar twelve in change. Would it be insulting to their intelligence? I am not a 'tough customer', nor a rude one. I decided that I would gently point it out, which I did, as if I was noting it to myself as I gave it to her. I got my change and she had shortchanged me a dollar. When she came back with my chicken, I still had my change and my sales slip in my hand. I told her what I had given her, and she made it right, apologizing, to which I cheerfully said, "No problem". By the time I was across town, I looked and saw that she had charged me for the 8 pc. poppers, but given me the four piece. Sigh... And when I got home, and looked at the chicken, she had given me two more pieces than the size I had ordered and paid for. Good grief. Is there any hope?

And another thing, I am not a stingy person, but it kind of bugs me when people assume I don't want my change and just keep it without thought. I like to at least have the option. Since before Christmas when there have been so many people selling newspapers on the streets, I have been buying from them, rather than at stores I am in anyway, where it is more convenient. I figured that if they were selling newspapers on the street, that they probably really needed the money. So, I pass up buying a newpaper in the store, and wait until I am driving along, and see one of the vendors, stop my car, have my money in hand and try not to hold up traffic. For the first few times, I had the right change. Then I only had dollars for awhile. Only ONE newspaper person half-heartedly asked if I wanted my change. (She stood there and said, "Ummm...do you want your change or....???") I told her no, and drove on. By this time, I was surprised she asked, even if it WAS half-hearted. But all the others just take the money, and go back to looking for their next customer. I still buy from the street-side vendors, but if I have the right change, I use it, if not, I just take the...what? - shabby?, low-class?, disrespectful?, lack of personal pride?, entitlement-minded? treatment. It's odd to me...On the other hand, if that's all I've got to rant about, then I guess I'm pretty lucky.

3 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 12:39 AM, Blogger Art&Tal said...

holeart.blogspot.com

send me your email

 
At 1/17/2006 9:09 AM, Blogger nutmeg said...

Glad to hear you got some rain! We got less than .10"...although it drizzled/misted most of the morning yesterday.

I know what you mean about the ineptness of some people. I take the kids to McDonalds sometimes, and whenever I go to this particular one, I always have to go back in for the extra order of fries I get for DD#3 which they have forgotten....maddening!

We homeschool our kids. (although DS#1 now goes to a private Catholic school...) And it's precisely because its a crapshoot, whether or not your children will have a teacher who really cares!

 
At 1/28/2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats good that we finaly got some rain

 

Post a Comment

<< Home