The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Sunday, May 04, 2008

RAINBOW CHARD

I asked Zach to go out and cut some of the rainbow chard for dinner tonight. He came back with six leaves. I told him he sure was chinchy about it, but went ahead with just those, since I was already doing several things at once, including being in the midst of preparing dinner.
I cut up and sauted bacon about halfway, then added pressed garlic and the sturdier stems cut across into small pieces. When that cooked a little, I added the chiffonade... (chiffonade-d?) leaves, stirred to wilt them, then put the lid on and lowered the heat for 4 minutes.
Meager, but absolutely delicious! We divided the chard three ways. Next time, I will cut down on the percentage of bacon, so the chard stands out more. We also had an Amish tomato, cut into wedges and sprinkled with my fresh basil leaves (chiffonade, again!) and parmesan cheese.

Although I didn't get a photo, we had very small new potatoes, which I also bought from the Amish, when two friends and I went out to their farm on Friday. These were cut in half, sauteed and steamed with onions. The main dish was Chuck's pick - floured and fried cube steaks.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5/05/2008 10:03 AM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

That looks pretty? Is chard bitter? I wonder if I would like it. I have some bacon in my freezer that's looking for a job.

 
At 5/06/2008 2:14 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

No, I didn't think it was bitter at all, although my husband did. The next batch I made was definately not bitter. Very smooth and mellow. I don't know what the difference was, or if there was one, since I thought it was fine the first time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home