The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Sunday, December 18, 2005


I was up and dressed earlier than usual this morning, and planned to go over to the hall to work on the Christmas program props, etc. I was drinking my coffee and working on my to do list, when Annie called. I told her that I was planning to go work, and she said I should just relax today, and work in the hall tomorrow when there might be people there to help. So.... since I didn't want to go anywhere, anyway, I thought it over and then stayed home and sewed the new curtains and got them hung, and then hung the fake evergreen garland along the top of the kitchen bar, and hung all the Christmas cards we have gotten so far, on it. I am not nearly as fond of the new curtains as I was of the fabric on the bolt. But, oh, well...
I talked to Demetria on the phone, and made tentative arrangements for getting Shabree tomorrow. Chuck had to call Roland after he got home to arrange the details, since he's the one who will be home and so forth. So Chuck got home a little after 4pm, and went to get Zachary, so we could all go to Mass tonight. I went early to work in the hall, and got some things done, but when it came to covering the four panel stage side 'walls' with the blue tulle, it was painfully obvious that I I needed about three times as many 8 yard lengths as I had. So I had to come up with 'Plan B'. I got into the church just in time for Mass. Then after Mass, Zach and I headed to Clareville for tonight's Posada, and Chuck came home to call Roland, and get dinner from Chisholm. I had already printed out maps to their apartment in Austin.
The Posada tonight was at Ernest and Delia Soto's house. There were a LOT of people there. I'd guess about 60 or more. They have a large extended family and everyone was invited. The Soto's teenage daughter, Angelica, played the part of Mary, and their son, Salvador, was Joseph again. We had two guitar players tonight. Mr. Casarez came and played, and Mr. Hernandez, our usual Posada musician, came too. There were a lot of good voices. Then there was a huge delicious feast. Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take photos tonight.
I drove back to Skidmore, and took Zachary home. Then I headed to Walmart in Beeville to remedy the shortage of tulle situation. I substituted two blue sheets for the underlayer, and will still see about using the gathered, fluffed tulle I already have to add some extra interest. Now if I can get the lights that are already there to reach and work, things will be fine.
I still have to get the cards/gifts for the teachers, aides, my assistant, my tireless fundraiser, and the music minister, (for all he has done in working with the students' presentation) done tonight, so I can have them ready by the program tomorrow evening. Also I need to get the notes to the parents done tonight, too.
The photo above is one I took a few days ago. It's a castor bean bloom in our front yard. We had lots of huge ones last year, but I uprooted them, since they are so highly toxic. However, a couple came back from dropped seed.


At 12/18/2005 8:56 AM, Blogger Thorn said...

Just checking in with you to say "Hello! How are you? Hope all is well!"...carrie

At 12/18/2005 12:36 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

what is the name of that plant in your picture? I have 2 of them growing (or did till frost) in my flower garden. A friend gave them to me but didn't know what they were.

At 12/18/2005 1:11 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Hi, Peggy! It's a castor bean 'tree'. They are extremely toxic, with the main toxin being ricin. I need to pull this one up before it finishes it's seed cycle.

At 12/18/2005 7:05 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

thanks. Mine had been pods and I took them off and saved them to plant next spring.


Post a Comment

<< Home