The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Saturday, June 24, 2006

TOO RED FRIDAY

Lydia and I had lunch today at the newly owned and less-than-improved Chisholm Trail. Not long after that, Zachary and Mathieu and I went over to the church to pick some figs from the large clump of 2 or 3 big fig trees behind the office and classroom building. They kept saying, "This is FUN!" We took Carl and Coconut with us too. They also thought it was fun. We were only there about half an hour, but got so hot and red-faced from just that short time in the mid-90's heat. The trees have been picked at least twice so far, and there are still a LOT more figs to ripen and be picked. We gave some to Lydia, and then some went home with Zach and Mathieu. These are the ones that were left from my cut after we had eaten quite a few. And I ate most of these as the afternoon went on.
In the photo, the can of Mecca Cola came from Kuwait. Stewart brought some home the last time he was here. It's like a cherry coke, only stronger and sweeter. The tablecloth is one I got at Goodwill. I guess it's from Denmark, since a soldier near each corner is carrying the flag of Denmark. It fits with our heritage....well, not mine, but Chuck's. And I had to add the lone, tiny tomato that I got off of one of our tomato plants today.
I wish I would have thought to take a photo of the boys and the dogs while we were picking the figs.

4 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love figs.those are some nice big plump ones.i had a fig tree when i lived in mississippi.every time one would get ripe i would snatch it and eat it.lol

 
At 6/24/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

I enjoy stopping by to see what you have been up to. You are always busy!

 
At 6/24/2006 7:31 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Sue, when I was young we had a 2 fig trees and I hated picking figs. And I didn't much like eating them, either. It's funny how things change. Mother made strawberry-fig preserves with ours. I liked them that way.

Peggy, me? Busy? Not ANYTHING even resembling 'busy' compared to you! If y'all aren't familiar with Peggy's blog - Hidden Haven Homestead - click on her name and go take a look. THAT'S busy! LOL!

 
At 6/24/2006 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how wonderful to be able to pick your own fresh fruit like that....especially figs. I love them! They're rather stale by the time they get to our stores though LOL!

Great pic Wanda!

Hugs
Val

 

Post a Comment

<< Home