The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

THE CEMETERY, AGAIN

Several of my yahoo groups have been talking about cemeteries, cemetery upkeep, cemetery plants, cemeteries as places to spend time, tombstones, genealogy and things like that lately. After having lunch at Chisholm with Lydia today, Shabree and I went out to the cemetery. I finally got those painted pvc pipes hammered into the ground on most of the family graves. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring flowers to put into them. But I'll do that soon. I intend to go out when it's cooler and do some on site sketching.
You can see the pipes in this photo. One is holding flowers that were already there.
And the poor half-dead bushes that are to the left, in the photo, of the first two tombstones are the ones we took the cuttings from that I am trying to root. So far, no luck, but the 'stick' is still relatively 'green', so I haven't given up yet. They aren't blooming in the photo, although they were in April. This drought has been really bad and I guess the couple of good rains we have had since, were not enough to change the look of these bushes. I'm guessing my grandmother planted them. They are good hardy native varieties, so they will last until the drought ends, I think.

2 Comments:

At 7/01/2006 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure must be rough to keep anything alive at the cemetery Wanda! Those ground pipes are a great idea though!

Beautiful headstone by the way :)

Hugs
Val

 
At 7/01/2006 6:39 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks, Val. Yes, I really like the headstone, and there are quite a few nice 'older style' ones out there.

Last year, I planted a plumbego and a lantana on my parents' graves. Both are native plants. The plumbego died, but the lantana is still alive, although the upper part is just 'sticks'. There are green leaves around coming out at ground level though, so it should make it.
There are ceniza (or cenizo?) and crepe myrtles growing with no problem on many graves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home