The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Sunday, April 02, 2006

YARD SALE TRAIL

Today was the county-wide yard sale trail. I hadn't gotten to go the last two years, because I was having a rummage sale in the parish hall, so this year, I declined and did a little yard saleing, myself.Actually, I started a day early, since one of the yard sales was open Friday, too. Plus it was off the highway (WAY off, as it turned out. I just followed...followed...followed the signs.) between here and Beeville when I was making a trip there yesterday. Anyway, I bought two books (one for Mathieu and one for C.C.D.), and these two partial sets of dishes, there.I love the wide shallow bowls - or are they just very deep plates? - in the first photo. And the larger serving dish, too. Perfect for... spaghetti and meatballs, maybe? In the second photo, the two bowls and salad plates I got just because I really liked them. It was $5 for the first set and $2 for the second.
Last night I was feeling so exhausted that I thought I might not even go today, but I woke up early and feeling better, so at the last minute decided to go after all. This photo is what I bought at the Garden Club Plant Sale - 2 china berry trees, a morning glory 'tree'...or is it 'bush'?, 2 rock roses (to replace the one I killed previously), an angel wing plant (also, to replace the one I killed the last time), and a white angel trumpet plant. The Garden Club Sale is the one I've always raced to first, since they started having it. This year, I didn't get that much, since this drought kind of makes me think twice about buying plants. I ran into Amy and Mathieu there, as well as one of my neighbors. The candelabra is one I bought at Goodwill recently, and just didn't take out of the car yet.
At my next stop and the one after that, this is what I got - large cardstock squares to use for drawing paper, a box of laminated Bible verse strips and a couple of books for C.C.D., a small Barbie chair, a foldable scooter (for Zach and Shabree) and some lego bases with letters to go onto them (for Mathieu).
After that, I went to a couple more yard sales, but didn't find anything I wanted, so came back to Skidmore. I unloaded my things, picked up Coconut and her leash and went to the church to see how the space rental and the sales there were going. They had quite a few large spaces filled with a big variety of things. I ran into Amy, Mathieu and Zachary there. Amy got a vintage folding chair for Zach's room. She is going to 'westernize' it. From Mrs. Ross's booth, I got this crochet edged and embroidered center small tablecloth, and this vintage pyrex(?) cereal bowl. Maybe it was an oatmeal premium...? Oh, and I bought a chance in one booth that was selling raffle tickets for a tv, gas card, and lesser gas card, to finance the next year of collage tuition.
After I came home, relaxed and showered, I got a lot done on my talk for tomorrow. It's still not complete, but I may just wing it. Surely I can talk about the points I have written down for an hour. I hope. Then I went to evening Mass and came home and cooked dinner. While I was doing that, Chuck came home from work, then went to pick up Zach to spend the night, as he does each Saturday.

5 Comments:

At 4/03/2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Thorn said...

you really made out good Wanda. All the new plants and I love the sunflower dishes!...thorn

 
At 4/03/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Mindy said...

Hi there...I came over by way of Peggy's blog...Love your blog! Great idea about the county-wide yard sale!!! Great finds you have too!! Enjoy your day!

 
At 4/03/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Yes, Carrie, I did really well for the small number of stops I made.

Thank you, Mindy. The county-wide yard sale trail on the first Saturday of April each year, is the 'creation' of the Chamber of Commerce. It's really a great idea for areas like ours.

 
At 4/03/2006 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda, Looks like you had a good time at the sales..I love the dishes you got and that embroidery table cloth is beautiful....
Brenda

 
At 4/04/2006 5:58 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks, Brenda. The fruit on the tablecloth is made with the treads sort of 'woven' though each other in a kind of thin but 'wooly' thread. I hate to think how much thread it took!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home