The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Friday, April 21, 2006


Doesn't this homegrown tomato and basil mix look good? That is the tomato that you saw growing on the bush yesterday. The way this looks may have been the highlight of my day. Actually, it didn't taste that special.

Today was just not my best day. I don't know why. It certainly could have been worse. Nothing major happened but I was just down all day. This morning started with me waking up too late to get ready and go to Mass. Also I woke up in the middle of a gruesome dream.
I dreamed that there were these 4 young chefs (I watched Top Chef
last night) who came every weekday to practice here. They were
around college age, and I think went home at night to the college
dorms in the next town.
Only one day, I found one of the girls, and a dog (the dog lived
here, I guess, but it wasn't one of ours) on opposite sides of the
big fig tree in the backyard (which died years ago, and is not there
any more, in reality). Now, after seeing this awful scene, with
blood everywhere and heads bashed in, I went back in the house, and
apparently forgot all about it (!) until the next day when one of
the young men chefs came to the house. I'd let Coconut outside and
she came back all streaked with blood from the horrible scene still
out there in the yard. I was standing at the sink washing dishes,
and I told the young man to call ...the authorities, and he was at
the phone in the dining room, waiting for me to decide WHO exactly I
wanted him to call. And I was all confused about, should we call
911, the sheriff's department, an ambulance, the college or what.
And then it dawned on me that there was going to be big trouble and
lots of questions about why I hadn't called the authorities when I
first found the bodies. And I was just so confused and upset about
how I could have forgotten and how to know who to call. And I was
thinking that my dogs, and myself are out in the backyard alone all
the time, and whoever killed that girl and dog, could have and might
be planning to kill us too.
And when I awoke, I was still just so upset that I didn't call the authorities when it first happened, and that I had been too confused to know what to do and who to call. Creepy! I hope this is the last dream I have like that!

Then after coming into the living room after getting dressed, I saw that for the 3rd day in a row, Coconut had gone to the bathroom on the floor. I have no idea why she is doing that early each morning. She spent a good amount of time outside before I went to bed, and then I had Chuck put her out when he got up around 4, too, and bring her back in before he left for work.

Inertia set in, and I got practically nothing done all day, which doesn't lighten my mood. When I feel like this, I should just get out and go somewhere - anywhere. I'd feel better. But I usually don't.

I had moved two 6-packs of vincas and a pepper plant out to the garden seat where the tomatoes are, so they could get better sun until I felt like planting them. Only when I was out there later, I saw Patti-Jo (and possibly Coconut too) had gotten them and torn them to pieces in the yard. I picked up what I could and immediately planted the more intact plants in flower pots on the deck. I wanted the vincas in the ground somewhere, but didn't have a place picked out, so just stuffed them in the nearest pots. Then I noticed that one of the hanging pots from the Vitex tree had fallen and broke. Apparently this was a day or two ago, because the dogs had pretty much leveled and trampled the plant that had been in it. So I picked through the dirt and saved a few tendrils, which I threw in another pot. And with no gloves on, I got my fingernails in a mess. Meanwhile Patti-Jo and Coconut were trying to unearth the vincas and pepper from the other pots I had just planted. Sheesh!

Then I decided to take Carl to get a bath and a flea pill. He was just scratching like crazy and was totally miserable. So I called to make an appointment but Barbara V. offered to take him right away, even though she had a goat in labor. So I took him over there and she said she'd call when he was ready, since she didn't know how long it would be, if she had to stop to help the mother goat, or there was trouble. When I went back over to get him, that goat had triplets! I was surprised because I didn't think goats had but either 1 or 2 kids per birth. Barbara said she knew someone with a goat who had 5 kids almost every time. It was news to me!

Anyway, I don't guess everything was bad today, but those are a few of the low-lights. There were more, but - well, that's enough to post here. Tomorrow will be a better day.


At 4/22/2006 9:14 AM, Blogger Thorn said...

Gosh Wanda! Sorry you had such a rough day! darn puppy dogs attacking all your plants! but hey, the tomato and basil LOOKS awesome! Love ya...thorn

At 4/23/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks, Carrie. Actually, I tasted a slice of the tomato when I was cutting it up, and it tasted really good. It was only after the addition of the fresh basil and olive oil that it turned tasteless.
And when I went outside a little while ago, I saw that the dogs had dug up two of the pots with the vincas in them. ArGghH!!!

At 4/24/2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, does that tomato look good, I miss the home-grown tomatoes from my dad in NC, the florida ones just do not taste as good...
Sorry about the dogs getting into your plants, I planted vinca and the squirrels kept digging them up till they died.....except one....
I think, I might have to go check

At 4/24/2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

I hope your lone vinca survived, Brenda. :)


Post a Comment

<< Home