The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Monday, June 15, 2009

GARDEN SHOPPING

Garrett and I ran errands today, and among other places, I wanted to stop at Zimmer's Nursery to look for Malabar spinach plants or seeds and pumpkin seeds. They weren't going to have more Malabar spinach until September, but I did get two six-packs of tall zinnias that I love, and then on the way out, I noticed this huge, gorgeous bush. I had Garrett get out and stand by it for a photo. We went back and I found out it was a ponciana or Mexican Bird of Paradise plant, and bought a small one to plant in the yard.
Besides a few groceries, here is what I ended up with today. Well, the Mexican Flame Plant (on the left side of the table) is from the Farmer's Market the other day. I still haven't planted it, because I got in a big weeding and flower bed cleaning project and now it'll have to wait until the spot I intend for it is cleaned. Apparently supporting slave labor and human rights abuses in China (sigh), I bought these three lawn chairs and the brown table at Walmart. I got the organic pumpkin seeds and some sunflower seeds there too.
It's still way too hot out in the yard now, but around sunset, I hope to get out there and finish most of the flower beds and get started on planting. Wish me luck!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6/17/2009 2:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I came across Malabar Spinach in my Texas Organic Vegetable Gardening book and am tempted to try it. Would be interesting in hearing your thoughts on cultivation and appropriateness for this region.

 
At 6/17/2009 4:25 PM, Blogger Cathy said...

From one avid gardener to another, love your garden shopping photos. Love shopping for plants. You can never have too many plants.

Stop by my blog for an awesome French style "give-away".

xo Cathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home