The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Sunday, August 19, 2007

OLD-TIMEY QUILT

I forgot I had these photos from when I went down to the local museum earlier this month. These are from a quilt that a class of girls made in high school. It wasn't part of their curriculum, but a group remembrance project, I think. All of these women, represented in these photographs are relatives to me, I think. ...My mother, aunt, their cousins, some by marriage, later.




The extra one - the one not sewn into the quilt was made by their teacher. She was not related to me, but lived next door to us when I was growing up.
This is sure not a politically correct motif for today, but it is part of our shared heritage from the 30's.
Question of the Day:What kinds of things do you have that were handed down to you in your family from generations past?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8/19/2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the beautiful bedroom set that you and your sisters had? I was told they were first used by older cousin of ya'lls, you and your sisters, me and now my daughters have them.
Laura

 
At 8/20/2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Amy Guobadia said...

My family doesnt have anything that is passed down. I should start something.

 
At 8/20/2007 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, its wonderful, and I love the history behind it and that its part of your family history, thanks for sharing the quilt pictures.

Renie

 
At 8/20/2007 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're my little sis, you know the things I have. I guess the most interesting one to me,is the rocking chair that my great-grandmother got when she was expecting my grandmother.
Oh, and the bedroom set Laura mentioned - it was originally our Father's cousins. Then ours, then my daughters, now my granddaughters - so four generations.

Jan

 
At 8/21/2007 9:34 AM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Not really, both my parents came from immigrant families that didn't have a lot of fancy stuff. Well, if they did, nothing made it to my parents, who were both the youngest.

I do have a picture of my late aunt and her friends in blackface for a talent show (now, that's a lot more politically incorrect than the quilt).

 
At 9/06/2007 7:55 PM, Blogger I used to be Gigi Minor - but now I'm Annie Kight said...

I had a dance teacher with the last name Kessler! You never know it could be a distant relative!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home