The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Thursday, August 09, 2007

BONKERS FOR BENTO

Here is my first bento. I made four of these today to take to the office for my, Zachary's, Lydia's and Anita's lunch. I had seen a few things about bento lately, but didn't get the bug until last night. Yesterday, in Corpus Christi, Zach and I went to World Market and saw lots of really great things, but no bento boxes. Zach and I almost drove to Walmart at 1:30am last night to get things for this, but since I couldn't be sure the deli was open - Walmart was not answering the phone - I sensibly waited until this morning....which was a good thing, because it turns out that the deli closes at 7pm. Last night was spent drinking in the photos and information on 20-30 bento sites, plus checking eBay for bento items.
At Walmart, I bought four multi-colored red striped place mats and 6 napkins in red, pumpkin and loden green to match. The four sectioned, covered plates came from there, too, as well as a bisectioned, lided container, some tiny, colorful condiment bowls, and enough varied ingredients to make banyak sekali - very many - bento?...bentos?.
The bento today consisted of a boiled egg 'chicken' in a bed of deli broccoli salad, a croissant with molded (a rabbit) butter, fresh pineapple chunks with a colorful toothpick for eating it, a tortilla roll, and cucumber with a scooped-out hollow filled with deli ham salad and topped with an olive slice. Oh, and green tea for the drink. The plates really needed to be filled more because a lot of the plate showed through from the bottom. Or maybe the plates were just too big, because the meal was filling enough. But I was in such a hurry after returning home, to get these made, and there, in such a short time.
Tomorrow I plan (if nothing comes up) to take bento to Chuck, Zach, Mat, Reagan and Amy. If I do get them made, I'll probably have another bento photo tomorrow.
This is no small feat for someone like me who does not really enjoy cooking much any more. Of course most of it came from the deli or was ready-made. It's got to be the 'cute', artsy-craftsy, playing, piddling aspect that has me so smitten.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8/10/2007 8:54 AM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

How cool! And I have tons of those divided food containers, from when DH worked nights and I had to pack him dinner.

 
At 8/12/2007 1:57 PM, Blogger RudeNun said...

Those are tooo cute! You have such a great imagination! I've also been getting into bento but I need to find the bento boxes.

 
At 8/13/2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

CbJ - Yeah, Anon.Jan didn't comment, but emailed me about sending her DH to work with home-packed lunches in tv dinner trays. Sort of the same thing.

rudenun - Hey, it's great to 'see' you here. I keep looking at bento boxes on eBay, but can't seem to justify buying one since I don't actually need to pack a lunch to go anywhere. The whole point is that this is packing one's lunch for work, and I definately don't fit that criteria. A bento for myself would only have to go from the kitchen cabinet to the kitchen bar or the recliner...or the computer desk. Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home