The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

COOKBOOK AND CAKE

On Cookbook Junkie's blog she asked where everyone keeps their cookbooks. I think I showed a photo of my cookbook shelves (two short ones) before, but I don't think I showed my 'homemade' cookbook. This binder holds recipes cut from magazines, recipes given to me, recipes that I have handwritten from other sources or printed out, our usual holiday menus and more. It has notes about the recipes, about the days I used them, and about the friends they came from. I started it about 20 years ago. The kids always called it "The OH NO! Mom's Cooking" cookbook, after the blown up copy of the Mary Englebreit sticker I put in the cover.
Inside, the pages are protected by plastic page sleeves. Some pages are nice and neat, and some are a huge jumble. Some are done scrapbook style and some are totally utilitarian. This shows a page from my Halloween section with not only recipes, but one of my favorite jack-o-lantern cut-out patterns, too. On the other side is an old 'cookbooklet' of Mother's. I loved the pictures of peanut elves when I was little.
Shabree has really been into making cake mix cakes lately. She does very well with them, with only a tiny bit of supervision from me. She loves cooking. Tuna salad is her other specialty.

2 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Sauntering Soul said...

Ya' know, sometimes I think I have no brain. I have so many recipes that are just floating around loose on my bakers rack with my cookbooks, stuck in the middle of cookbooks, etc. Why have I never thought of putting them in a notebook of some sort? Duh! I'm taking a week off later this month and I think I'm going to add this to my "to do" list.

 
At 10/03/2006 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture on your notebook has the same expression as DH, when I came home with "52 Meat Loaf Recipes"!
I fondly remember that cookbooklet of Mother's also.
Way to go, Shabree!

Jan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home