The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

FALAFEL




















I was intrigued by Keith Petrus' photos and mention of falafel on his Facebook blog, so yesterday I went shopping for dried garbanzo beans and put them on to soak overnight. Strangely, they started clicking and pinging about 5 hours in. That was pretty amusing.

So today, I drained them, and started combining ingredients. I have no idea how I lost my food processor, but I couldn't find it anywhere. But then maybe it has something to do with moving from a four bedroom house to a tiny, tiny one. I even searched through still packed boxes of kitchen stuff, but couldn't find it anywhere. So I was forced to use the blender to try to process the garbanzos, onion and garlic. That was pretty awkward and messy, but eventually I got it done, more or less. Then I added fresh parsley, baking powder, cumin seeds, coriander, salt and pepper, and put little smushed together globs of it on parchment paper covered cookie sheets and baked them at 375* for 40 minutes.


The problem was that I frankensteined several different falafel recipes together AND tripled or quadrupled the recipe(s)...and I tend to 'eyeball' amounts rather than actually measure. I think I got WAY too much cumin in it. Actually, it probably would have been better with fresh cilantro. But overall, I liked it and I will make it again, with a change or two.

3 Comments:

At 9/08/2012 3:07 PM, Anonymous Flower Pot said...

Reminds me of the late night I was using the blender to force some still hard garbanzos into something resembling hummus and got a spatula caught in the spinning blades! Hummus ended up everywhere. Dumb, I know, but what can you expect at 3 a.m.? Apparently not common sense!

 
At 12/17/2012 2:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

YUM! I love felafel. That looks delicious. How did it come out? I always wanted to try making it but thought it was too hard and too long of a process..

Did you know KaBloom flowers last up to 5 days longer than your average florist? Visit flower delivery Dallas TX now.

 
At 4/08/2013 10:49 AM, Anonymous AustinNativeLandscaping.Com said...

I just love felafel!

Great pictures, made me hungry...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home