The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Saturday, March 12, 2011

FASTNACHT..FASNACHTS...POTATO DOUGHNUTS

I check Cookbook Junkie's blog almost every day, not that I am all that into cooking, but I do like reading about it, and her blog is really interesting. But when I saw this recipe and her photo of it, I immediately got up from the computer (!) and started making it.
Mathieu, who often gathers eggs for me, came and he helped mix the dough, before leaving to pursue another project. I rolled the dough out and started cutting - first with the round cutter, then later, as things got hectic just with a straight-edge to make squares and rectangles.
Meanwhile, Zachary came over, and I had to enlist him in rolling the the finished ones in sugar and moving them along to a tray. It really was a three person job at the end with the continued rolling and cutting, frying and turning, draining, dredging and plating.
It made 32 of them and they were delicious! I sent half next door and then the next day, when Mat came over, I send half of what I still had over with him again. This is definately a recipe I wouldn't mind making again. Oh - for the recipe, you can check out http://www.cookbookjunkie.blogspot.com.

2 Comments:

At 3/12/2011 4:10 PM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

I'm glad you liked them. I wasn't sure if it's one of those things that you have to experience the tradition to enjoy. And I wasn't sure if you had to taste a lousy supermarket fashnacht to enjoy this version (I don't think they put any sugar at all in their dough!)

I would still love to perfect a yeast-raised version but I just don't have that kind of time on my hands. Did you use the nutmeg? I'm still debating that.

 
At 3/12/2011 4:50 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

No, darnit! I intended to add nutmeg but forgot about it. But we loved them anyway.

I've never had them before, supermarket version or otherwise. Is is a Fat Tuesday thing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home