The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Friday, July 11, 2008

TEXAS SPINY LIZARD


This is what lay in our path as Lydia, Mary, Annie and I came back down the walkway from the far side of the classroom building. I looked it up, and it looks to be a Texas Spiny Lizard. He or She was about 10 or 11 inches long. I've been seeing more of these lately.
We all went to Papa's for a catfish lunch. After that, I came home, and since I had insomnia the night before, and got only, maybe 4 hrs. of sleep, I was really considering a nap, even though I hate naps. But then Stewart called me on my cell phone asking why I hadn't answered my other phone calls (house phone) and multiple texts. The connection was bad, but he said he was on some kind of transport to Dubai for a short vacation and needed me to wire money from his account to someplace there. I am not good with these kinds of things, but for whatever reason, it has to go through Western Union. So I drove to the next town, to the bank and then to HEB to send it. That is always a huge hassle. Fortunately today I did have someone who actually knew how to do it and amazingly could send the whole amount at once. Well, not the person who was waiting on me, but someone in the office who she could consult with constantly. Unfortunately, it took about an hour, with me standing there, filling out papers, them looking things up in their policy and instruction manuals, and then! me having to have a 25 minute interview over the phone with the most soft-spoken, long-winded foreign person, I have ever talked to. I could barely hear her, and only about half the time, over the supermarket noises. Finally, she got all the info she needed, and hung up to run it all through the database and see if it checked out. Which it did, so finally - with only having to fill out the forms 3 times, to correct them 3 different ways, the money was sent. At least I didnt get the run-around this time about only being able to wire a much smaller amount of money at one time, and with a 3 day wait between sends. So I guess it was worth it not to have to come hassle with them every few days to send more. By that time, Stewart's small vacation would be over anyway.
So I got a few groceries, and came home. As soon as I parked in the driveway, the earpiece from one side of my glasses came loose. The screw was nowhere to be found, and I am really, really blind without glasses. After carrying everything in, I got the glasses repair kit from the cabinet, and HOPED there was a screw left in there that would fit. Well, there is no way I can even see the screws, much less the holes without glasses, so I gave up and took the whole thing over to Reagan's and had him look at it. Unbelievably, there was a screw that would work! So I am very grateful to have my glasses together and be able to see again.
While in line at HEB, a geocacher I am acquainted with got in line behind me. We re-introduced ourselves and she encouraged me to do some caching there around town for some of her caches. So tomorrow, I think Zach, Mathieu and I will go look for two or three of them. She and I compared notes and laughed at our differences in preference of geocaching vs. letterboxing. She enjoys the mystery of the location and the search, using a GPS for guidance, while I prefer the art of the handcarved stamps, the keeping of an interesting logbook and word clues.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7/12/2008 5:17 PM, Blogger jillybird said...

Hi Wanda - I have been enjoying your blog for several months now. I actually went back and read every single one of your posts. (I "discovered" you on the KT, where I lurk frequently.) I would like to thank you for adding art to my life - through you, I learned about ATCs, which lead to altered books, which lead to carving stamps, which lead to... I love everything you do and wanted you to know that you inspire me! Have a happy day!

 
At 7/13/2008 12:58 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

Wow. Thank you! But, of course, you know I have been inspired by so many others, as well. Art really IS fun, isn't it?! :)

 
At 7/15/2008 12:34 AM, Blogger Baking a wish said...

Hey, I don't really like lizards! UHHHHHH.... can you hear me screaming all the way over here. When I lived in Hawaii, I was 20. I had moved there, and on the first day my DXH had to go to work, I was laying in bed watching tv. It was only like 6a as he had to leave for work by 5a. Anyhow, I thought I saw something moving in the closet. I was so afraid it was a cockroach. It looked green though. I went closer to examine, and sure enough, a lizard. It was a ghecko. I couldn't believe it. A lizard in my closet, near my dresses.... AHHHHHHH! I learned to love them real quick as they keep cockroaches out of your condo or home... however, I called him at work. He was doing his PT and I left a message for him to call me quick as it was an emergency. When he called, I couldn't get to the phone as the lizard was now out of site, and I knew as soon as I stepped on the floor it was going to bite me. Poor guy, drove over an hour home thinking I was dying. I was in big trouble. LOL!!! So long ago!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home