The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Friday, January 02, 2009

POOR COCONUT

Coconut is in the veterinary hospital. She had been droopy for a couple of days, so I took her in to see what the problem was. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with her, but gave her an anti-nausea shot and an antibiotic shot just in case. Two days later she still wasn't any better, so I took her back and this time got our usual vet who found the problem immediately. She had a bowel obstruction. This was on New Year's Eve, and luckily, I got her there before they closed at noon, which I didn't know they were going to do. They gave her an enema, but that didn't help, so kept her over the holidays to give her stool softeners and more enemas to see if they could dislodge it. I called them this morning as soon as they opened to ask how it went, and since nothing had changed, they had to do surgery to remove it. I called afterwards and they said they got it, but it had done quite a bit of damage to her large intestine, so that had had to be repaired too. Coconut was coming around from the anesthetic, but would have to be very still and try to heal well for the next few days. So. I am still very worried and sad about this, but really hope that things will go well for her from here on out.
I typed this draft a couple of days ago intending to get a photo to go with it, but forgot to take one when I visited her Saturday. She was looking great - bouncing around like crazy trying to get out of the kennel when she saw me. I would have stayed longer than I did, but with the IV still in her and her incision fresh, I was afraid she'd pull something loose. I am very hopeful that I will be able to bring her home tomorrow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 1/05/2009 8:44 AM, Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said...

Oh, poor girl. I hope she's feeling better now. That must have been scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home