The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

ART TABLE

Good grief! Yesterday, in another blog that I read regularly, the subject was art supply storage or use, and I mentioned my tin can pyramid sharpie holder. I had said I'd post a photo as soon as I cleared off my art table a little. That turned out to be a LOT more work than I thought it would be. I worked on it off and on all day long. That table had become a huge mess with me doing more collage and mixed media than I've done in ages. Plus all the art swaps I've been doing, added to the stacking of incoming art and outgoing projects. It doesn't look that spacious now, but believe me, it is wide open compared to the tiny bit of exposed table I have had available. No way am I going to move on to photographing the rest of my art space - the two bookshelves, the paper cart, etc. It would be just as big of a hassle, if not more so, to clean them up beforehand. I was up until 4:30 am, as it was, cleaning off the table. What a difference it made. I wanted to do art right then, but sensibly (if you can even call it that by that time of the night/morning) I went to bed. Now, it's 5 and a half hours later. *Yawn*
Okay - left to right: some cut outs for bases for some gothic arches and some row houses in the making, two baskets of collage elements and various papers and misc. (I have a LOT of miscellaneous, everywhere!), a wonderful painting an artsy friend gave me, that I framed, the tin can pyramid, the old wire card holder with seasonal things people have sent me, my paint brush water in front of that, a metal basket with my cheapie paints in it, a Guatamalan vase holding paintbrushes, a little gnome planter holding paintbrushes, the lamp, a big basket of seasonal or current use items/elements, another basket of more papers and misc.... Both of these are set on top of stacks of paper and cardstock, with an art journal and other things thrown into the mix. What did I leave out...? Oh, the plate that I use for mixing paints is in front of the pyramid, and then a black and orange box that someone sent me, plus my jar of modge-podge, too. And a stuffed bean bag like crow that someone sent me around last Halloween. I have a huge plastic mat front and center so I don't get paint on the table and don't have to be careful about getting paint everywhere. I think that's it.
Here's a closer, and blurrier look at the tin can pyramid. I had planned to paint it, and maybe collage over the duct tape, but haven't yet. I may not, ever.
When we move, I'll have my art studio in a separate little building out back and will have lots of space to spread out. I don't know exactly when we are going to get over there, and we are not totally leaving this house, either. I expect we will be back and forth all the time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10/15/2008 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean I should undertake organizing my desk? :/ I hope not.

Jan

 
At 10/15/2008 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, HI!!!!!! Have missed you, so happy to see you're creating away. Talk to you soon.

hugs,
Renie

hope it doesn't mean I have to organize mine too!!! Actually I'm trying, really am!!!!!

 
At 10/16/2008 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to steal your can/holder idea! Glad you mentioned the duct tape-- I thought it looked like a wide rubber band and I was wondering where I'd be able to find that! What sort of plastic mat are you using? I've always used white placard/poster board taped down but that has to be replaced periodically-- of course I can turn it over for one more use. But your plastic mat sounds like a good idea. For me there's always been something about a fresh, white, clean board and work area-- for every new job I'd clean the area and put every pen, pencil, brush, etc in it's place before I could start on the next job. But once that was done then I was eager to get started. If I sat down to a mess on the drafting table I'd just feel, well dull. Everything else could have been (and probably was)in a mess, but that table had to be clean! Love ya! La'Nelle

 
At 10/16/2008 10:28 AM, Blogger Wanda said...

Hi, Jan, Renie and La'Nelle!

The plastic mat is just a good sized piece of heavier pastic that came with something Stewart had ordered and had sent here. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was... Something electronic. There were two pieces with it, so I do have a back-up (provided I could ever find it) in case an exacto goes awry or something.

"Feeling dull" - yep, that's how I feel with the rest of my house. LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home