The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Monday, May 07, 2007

PARANOIA IN DAIRY QUEEN

I had a weird afternoon. Amy brought Mat by around 2pm to stay for awhile because he wanted to play with the kittens. I took him to DQ about 3 to get a snack for us and for Zach who was coming over after school for a little while. My car horn has not worked for a few months. But today when I started up the car, it started honking and honking all by itself after I got about half a block away. I pulled over and tried beating on it and kicking underneath the dash etc. Finally it stopped, only to start honking crazily again when I started the car and tried to go again. So I went back to the driveway where it stopped and then started again. Finally, it quit for good, and we went to DQ. Instead of going thru the window as I had planned, we went in to order our things. I wasnt going to take a chance on having it start honking while we were in line and unable to move away. There were only the 2-3 workers there and 1 old man who looked like he was taking a working break while on his way somewhere. He was using a calculator, phone and legal pad. Then this younger man (early 30's?) came in and hurried to the restroom, stopping at the other man's booth and asking if he was "Jim Wolf" but he wasn't. After about a minute, the guy came trotting out of the bathroom, grabbed a straw from the supply stand and went back into the restroom. Hmmm... I was taking a dim view of that, when another man came in, looking like a tall, large, straight (I assume.) Truman Capote w/o the hat. He stood right behind and beside me blocking the door, with one hand behind his back, just standing there and looking. Mat had left the video games and was back at our table by then so I got him and said we'd wait in the car for our order. (Yeah, paranoia!) So the clean-cut apparent coke-head and the potential mass murderer (as I passed, it was only his car keys that he held up behind his back) came out together and got into a new pickup, and we went back in just as the waitress was bringing our food out. Ha! Well, that was my little excitement for the day.

4 Comments:

At 5/08/2007 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good gosh! For a while there it sounded like the beginning of a "Twilight Zone" episode. Glad you and Mat got the hay out of there. By the way, is the horn over its temper tantrum?

Sis Jan

 
At 5/08/2007 2:13 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

I guess it will just honk whenever it feels like it - Gosh!

 
At 5/08/2007 2:58 PM, Blogger ChristineMM said...

I have a feeling I know what that was all about (the men). There are LOTS of personal ads in the free newspaper put out in each of the cities in my state (New Haven Advocate is one). Their personal section has meet-up's, some ads state they are to meet along their commute route for a hook-up. Some are married, too and seeking same-sex one time encounters. It freaked me out to read that people do that (married men on their way to or from work).

BTW thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

It was funny, my younger son woke me up at 4:45am today and I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up to make ATCs. I was thinking about how the entire mail art world was revealed to me by you on the clutter chat list that I used to be on.

BTW did you see the recent Oprah where decorator Nate Berkus teamed up with Peter from Clean Sweep and they worked on one family's emotional ties to stuff from their son who died of childhood leukemia. I thought the two of them made a good pair working each in their speciality. Perhaps they need a new TV show together.

 
At 5/08/2007 4:06 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

You know, that never occured to me. I didn't see either one arrive in a vehicle, since my back was to the windows, so after seeing them leave together, I assumed they arrived together, too, and the older one ('Truman' - LOL), came in wondering what was keeping the younger one so long. Now, I am thinking your idea may have made sense, since the younger man who was in such a big hurry to the restroom, stopped and asked the older man seated at that table, if he was 'Jim Wolf'. And then, since you mention that, it makes me wonder about the older man's reply, which was, "No, but I could be...". Good grief!

This is a very small town - a country community, actually, not even an incorporated town - basically just a wide spot along a main highway between larger places. And none of these men were anyone I recognized, or anyone who even remotely looked like they belonged here. I hate to think it, but that type of depravity must be going on here. :(

Mail Art: I had forgotten all about that! Actually, I haven't done any artwork in quite a while...other than just a few recent sketches to see if I still could. The answer? Barely. :/ There is just so much else going on in my life....insomnia (gone as of about 2 wks. ago, thankfully) which made me feel too awful to be interested in art...my director duties in our parish's religious ed. dept. ... teaching a class of jr. high students, myself.... being completely buried in clutter and dust... gardening.... various special parish events that go on with the children this time of year...and lots of other stuff. And - oh, yeah - my sort of recent video game addiction. LOL! I had all but quit blogging too.

No, I didnt see that Oprah. I rarely watch daytime tv, and not much nighttime tv any more, either, except for Thurs. nights (Survivor, CSI and ER). I sure wish I would have seen it though. I have made some decluttering progress lately. Two boxes went to the Goodwill Store, one large trashbag went to the garbage and one box of books went to the parish classroom bldg. ...Merely the tiny tip of the iceberg, but at least it's something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home