The Bee Hive

Sometimes it's honey; sometimes it's sting...

Friday, May 19, 2006

GARDENING IN POTS

These three gnomes have their work cut out for them in nurturing these half-dead zinnia that I bought today at Walmart. I love zinnias. They are one of my favorite flowers. Walmart only had about 5 pots of them in red/pink or yellow, and the two pots I bought were the least dead-looking out of the bunch.
I also got a hanging basket of mixed flowers and plants. I guess I mainly got it because of the globe amaranth. We always called them batchelor buttons, but they are really named globe amaranth. Mommie, which is what we called our paternal grandmother, always grew lots of them. They make great cut flowers. For years, here, I had them growing in the front flower beds, then they just died out, when the angel trumpets took over. Then the four o'clocks took over after that, but with the drought, they are almost gone too. Anyway, I am hoping the globe amaranth will provide seed to get another large patch of them going again.
Meanwhile out the back door...
MARLENE - It looks like Wanda planted another large pot of something. I do think it is a yellow bell pepper plant and cinnamon basil! Mmmm...it smells wonderful!
BARBARA - Look at these leaves. Some kind of bug must be preying on them. Wanda must be neglecting these plants.
Well, it looks like she has done some companion planting....basil, tomatoes, peppers together. Basil is probably the most widely used companion for tomatoes. Basil attracts bees to aid in pollination, as well as repels whitefly, aphids and spider mites. And I read that peppers should be planted near tomatoes and basil, too.
JANET - Hey, look! I found a ripening tomato!
BARBARA - And look at the damage on THOSE leaves!
JANET - I heard Wanda telling some one that tomatoes do well planted with stinging nettles.
BARBARA - Stinging nettles?! Oh, good grief!
JANET - Yes, she said, "It's been scientifically proven to dramatically increase the overall yield of tomato plants as well as to deter fungal disease."
BARBARA - Well, I wouldn't believe every hair brained idea that Wanda has. And I just hope she doesn't decide to seed the yard with stinging nettles! Wouldn't that be a mess?!
MARTIN - Hey, look what I found! There are 4 ripe tomatoes on this plant.
BARBARA - And more insect damage.
MARLENE - Well, I do see a couple of ladybugs crawling around on some of the plants.
MACAROON and CARLITO - Arf! Arf!
BARBARA - Gasp! These plants are so crowded together, it's like a jungle here. I lost my shoe when I tripped over that vine.
MARLENE - Well, Wanda can't plant things in the ground this year because of Patti-Jo and Coconut digging everything up. And this soil is very rich. She mixed a lot of compost in these pots.
JANET - This vine is a 'volunteer', I heard her say. What's that?
MARLENE - That means Wanda didn't plant it. It just came up by itself. She doesn't know what kind of a vine it is.
JANET - Here is another tendril from the other side of the pot. It has a pretty flower. Maybe someone will know what kind of vine it is, and tell her...

So how about it? Does anyone reading this have any good guesses? Pumpkin? Cucumber? Squash? Melon? Something else entirely?

4 Comments:

At 5/21/2006 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, I ejoyed reading your little skit that the dolls did....soooo cute..lol.How do you come up with it all?.........and the mystery vine looks like cucumber to me.....
Brenda

 
At 5/21/2006 8:24 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Thanks, Brenda! :) I REALLY enjoy doing the doll scenes.
Cucumber, huh? I am really hoping that it will grow okay there. The vine has wrapped around the other plants a couple of times, but I have unwound it, and tried to get it to vine around the love seat instead. It has more blooms today.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:09 PM, Blogger alex said...

I LOVE how your mind works! I think I told you that before. You are creative to the core!

Alex

 
At 5/24/2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Wanda said...

Awww, Alex...That is very high praise, coming from you. Thanks so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home